January 2018 marks the 17th annual National Mentoring Month (NMM). Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Eastern Shore, Inc. makes meaningful, mentorship matches between volunteer “Bigs” who can be ages 18 or older and “Littles”, youth ages 6-17. The necessary training, resources and support necessary for those matches to succeed is provided. This year, Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Eastern Shore (BBBSES) would like to focus on expanding quality mentoring opportunities to connect more of our community’s young people with caring adult role models. We are seeking mentors for youth in all of the County’s throughout Maryland Eastern Shore.
The goal of Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Eastern Shore this National Mentoring month is to raise awareness of mentoring, recruit individuals to mentor and help the community recognize the positive impact mentoring can make in our community. Research shows that mentors play a powerful role in providing young people with the tools to make responsible choices, attend and engage in school, and reduce or avoid risky behavior like drug use. In turn, these young people are:
- 55% more likely to be enrolled in college
- 81% more likely to report participating regularly in sports or extracurricular activities.
- 78% more likely to volunteer regularly in their communities.
- More than twice as likely to say they held a leadership position in a club or sports team.
While 260 children have benefited from our services in the past six months, there is still a staggering 118 young people waiting for mentors. Right now there is a dire need for male mentors. BBBSES is hosting a Mentoring 101 training on Thursday January 18, 2018 from 6:00-8:00pm in Salisbury. Here you can learn more about being a mentor, apply to become a “Big”, or get information on mentoring and positive youth development. If you are a parent, coach, teacher or anyone who would like a refresher on how to improve communication with adolescents. You request more information or register by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 443-235-3946.
Some important dates during National Mentoring Month are as follows:
January 11, 2018-Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Eastern Shore Business After Hours with Salisbury’s Chamber of Commerce
- An opportunity to Celebration National Mentoring Month
January 15, 2018– Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service
- A day to share in the inspirational words of Dr. MLK, Jr. and elevate the spirit of service through volunteerism.
- January 17, 2018- International Mentoring Day
- A day of international conversations on social media where photos, video, and powerful mentoring stories messages are shared.
- January 25, 2018 – #ThankYourMentor Day
- This day concludes the #ThankYourMentor campaign! Anyone with real life mentoring experiences can thank those who helped them on their path to adulthood and beyond.
To stay connected with BBBSES during National Mentoring month, or for more information about our organization follow on Facebook www.facebook.com/BBBSES/ , Twitter https://twitter.com/ESBIGS. Or stop by http://shorebiglittle.org/ to learn more about the role mentoring plays in our community and to become a volunteer.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Eastern Shore (BBBSES) is a nonprofit, youth development organization whose mission is to provide every child facing adversity with enrichment and strong, professionally supported, one-to-one mentoring relationship which will change his or her life for the better, forever. Big Brothers Big Sisters believes that inherent in every child is the ability to succeed and thrive in life.