Salisbury—Mayor Jake Day is pleased to announce that the Salisbury Sustainable Advisory Committee – Green Team has awarded its Green Business Certification to Davis, Bowen & Friedel Inc., Robertson & Robertson Attorneys and Roadie Joe’s Bar & Grill. All three businesses have met the proper requirements and were awarded gold level certifications. The recently-implemented program recognizes businesses which have made a provable commitment to becoming more sustainable in their operations.
To qualify, businesses are required to complete a self-evaluation using a provided checklist. The more difficult or important an item on the list is to fulfill, the higher its assigned point value. Upon completion of the checklist, point values are totaled up, and a successful business will have qualified for one of three tiers of certification: Gold (12 points), Silver (10 points), or Bronze (8 points).
Among the many factors considered is whether a business has decided to go “strawless” by either eliminating drinking straws altogether, or by choosing to use more environmentally friendly options than plastic, such as paper or bamboo.
Other items on the checklist include:
- The use of sustainable practices during events, such as limiting single-use items, or using only recyclable products
· The use of energy-efficient lighting
· Being “bike friendly,” making it easier for customers to patronize a business without having to drive there in a car
· The use of compostable materials such as utensils and bags
· Water efficient fixtures in kitchens and bathrooms
More information about Green Business Certification can be found here: https://salisbury.md/green-business-certification
For more information about the City’s green initiatives, or to find out more about the Sustainability Advisory Committee (Green Team), please contact Alyssa Massey at email@example.com